Saturday, November 22, 2014

Meet the Staff: Store Manager-Christian Shoemaker Pt 1

We want you to know us like we want to know you. Follow this series of interviews as they unfold to learn some more about our friendly and fantastic staff.

Today we start off with a person you have likely interacted with if you have called or come to the store over the past several months. Meet the Store Manager, Christian!

How long have you been working at Sound Board Music?

I started as a private lesson instructor about 3 years ago. I was teaching violin, flute, percussion, practically anything anyone needed. I like to think I am the very least a Jack of all instruments, and that is a badge I proudly wear. Over the years I've taught clarinet, saxophone, drum set, cello, guitar, banjo, and trombone, among other things.

Why did you take on the role of Store Manager?

Well, when you work somewhere for a while, you get invested into it a little bit. I was talking with the owner and he said that they were looking for someone to take over the reins as Bob had to leave to pursue some other objectives in his life. I have a bit management experience, and I wanted to work a little more closely with music, because I have this music degree, and it doesn't get a lot of use in the restaurant industry.

You said you have a degree in music, what sort of experience does that help you bring to running a store like Sound Board?

Something that Sound Board has always been good at is bringing in musicians from all levels of ability, and a wide range of interests. I bring a large amount of knowledge on education materials, trends in music teaching, and general information about what musicians going through a public school or college band or strings program will need to be successful.

Sound Board has always been popular as a guitar store, with plenty of fantastic guitarists moving through, who later learned about how to help students in other areas. With me starting in the band world and adding guitar knowledge to my repertoire, I feel I help to round out not only my own knowledge of music, but the knowledge of those that I work with or come into the store. I'm sure many folks could tell you how easy it is for me to go on when I get on a roll about music.

What has been the most enjoyable experience you have had so far during your time working at Sound Board?

I would say the most enjoyable experience has been how much students can improve once given the right tools to do well. For example, I am currently working with a trombone student who was struggling at first. I don't consider myself an overly harsh teacher, but I do like to have high standards. Looking back on it, I feel at least partly responsible for his early frustration because I was tough on him. Now, however, he is a thriving young musician who loves playing his trombone. This is only after about a year, maybe less, of taking lessons. He is miles ahead of his classmates and is playing music that I would not have dreamed to have him playing at this point.

The moment he turned around was in one of our lessons. I had been pushing him hard to improve his sound, and he was working so hard, but was hitting a wall. Suddenly, one day he had it. He was able to do it all. Whether this was from constant practice on his part or a sudden "A-ha!" moment about playing the trombone I may never know, but he sounds great, has a huge range for how young he is, and now challenges himself outside our lessons to explore music, and get better. It's fantastic, and as a private teacher, it makes me smile every time I think about it. I really hope he continues playing for years to come, even if he outgrows me as a student.


Stay tuned for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment